As a driver, are you mindful of school zones and safety?
- Be on the lookout for school zone signals and ALWAYS obey speed limits.
- When entering a school zone be sure to slow down and obey all traffic laws.
- Always stop for school buses that are loading or unloading children.
- Watch out for school crossing guards and obey their signals.
- Be aware of and watch out for children near schools, bus stops, sidewalks, in the streets and in school parking lots, etc.
- Never pass other vehicles while driving in a school zone.
- Never change lanes while driving in a school zone.
- Never make u-turns while driving in a school zone.
- Never text while driving in a school zone. In fact, never text while driving!
- Avoid using a cell phone–unless it is completely hands-free–while driving in a school zone.
- Unless licensed to do so, never use handicap or emergency vehicle lanes or spaces to drop off or pick up children at school.
In this series:
- Staying Safe on the Way to School
- Driving Safely Around Schools
- Clothing and School Supplies
- Playground Safety
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.