It’s that time of year again! Hard to believe summer vacation is almost over. While you are in the mindset of getting school supplies and back-to-school clothes, it’s good to consider these safety tips, too.
- Plan a walk route to the school or bus stop; choose the most direct way with the fewest street crossings–and if possible with intersections that have school guards.
- Walk the route with your child beforehand.
- Teach your child never to talk to strangers.
- Have your child walk with a sibling, friend or neighbor.
- Teach your kids to obey traffic signs when walking or biking.
- When driving your kids to school, deliver and pick them up as close to the school as possible.
- If your child rides a bike make sure a helmet is worn.
- Have your child arrive at bus stop early and stay seated when on the bus.
- Be sure your child knows his or her phone number and address.
More tips next week!
In this series:
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.