In partnership with the CPF and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association, we present the
“Tips of The Week.”
WHAT TO DO IF STOPPED BY THE POLICE (CONTINUED)
Perhaps the police officer has stopped you for committing a traffic violation and begins to write a ticket?
* You may explain your situation, but be careful how you protest.
* It is best to remain calm. Don’t do anything that would make things worse.
Once detained, can an officer check for other vehicle code violations?
* Yes, a simple traffic violation stop can result in other citations being issued. If you feel the ticket is unwarranted, you should carry your protest to the Traffic Court, rather than argue with the officer.
If you are stopped by the police on the street?
* You may have been stopped and questioned because the police officer believed there was reason to detain you.
* Remain calm and answer the questions. Many problems relating to encounters with police officers can be avoided. Whether or not you are arrested may depend upon how you respond.
( CONTINUED NEXT WEEK)