You may already take precautions such as avoiding carrying large amounts of cash; here are some other things to consider while shopping this time of year.
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Dress casually and comfortably.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible.
- Always carry your driver’s license or identification card with you.
- Stay alert to your surroundings and trust your instincts.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with check or credit card when possible.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Keep a record of all your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, “con artists” may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
Continued next week.
Holiday Safety Tips Article Series
- Safety at Home
- Driving on the Holidays
- Shopping with Children
- ATMs and Solicitations
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.