While festive and wonderful, the holidays also come with some additional concerns when driving, parking and returning from shopping.
We can never be too careful, too prepared or too aware. Please share this information with family, friends and neighbors.
- Try to avoid driving alone or at night.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
- Avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows.
- Park as close as you can to your destination and take notice of where you park.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. Put items in the trunk.
- Be sure you have car keys in your hand when approaching your vehicle.
- Keep a secure hold on your purse, handbag and parcels. Do not put them on top of the car in order to open the door.
- When approaching or leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people in the area.
- Ask mall or store security for an escort before leaving your shopping location.
Continued next week.
Holiday Safety Tips Article Series
- Safety at Home
- Driving on the Holidays
- Shopping with Children
- ATMs and Solicitations
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.