You should follow some general precautions when using ATMs. This installment also advises how to handle solicitors.
Automated Teller Machines (ATMs)
- If you must use an ATM, choose one that is located in a well-lit and safe location.
- Protect your PIN by shielding the ATM keypad from anyone standing near you.
- Withdraw only the amount of cash you need at the time.
- Do not throw your ATM receipt away at the ATM location.
Strangers at your door
- Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts.
- It is not uncommon for criminals to take advantage of the generosity of people during the holiday season by soliciting donations door-to-door for charitable causes although no charity is involved.
- Ask for their identification and find out how the donated funds will be used. If you are not satisfied with their answer, do not donate.
- Only donate to a recognized charitable organization.
Continued next week…
Holiday Safety Tips Article Series
- Safety at Home
- Driving on the Holidays
- Shopping with Children
- ATMs and Solicitations
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.