With summer here we are outside doing fun things including riding our bicycles. Here are ten smart rules to consider when you ride your bike:
- Protect your head: Always wear a helmet when riding your bicycle.
- Stay visible: If drivers can see you, they are less likely to hit you. Use lights when biking at night or in low-light conditions.
- Look, signal & look again: Use hand signals to let drivers and other bicyclists know where you’re going. Look and make eye contact. Don’t assume drivers will stop.
- Stay alert: Keep a lookout for obstacles in your path.
- Go with the flow: Bike in the direction of traffic.
- Act like a car: Drivers are used to the patterns of other drivers. Don’t weave in & out of traffic. The more predictably you ride, the safer you are.
- Don’t get distracted: Don’t listen to music or talk on the phone while riding.
- Obey all traffic laws and lights: Traffic laws pertain to bike riders also.
- Assure bicycle readiness: Make sure your bike is properly adjusted and your seat in a comfortable position.
- Do a quick bicycle test: Check your brakes and your wheels.
The Cleveland Police Foundation, in partnership with the Cleveland Division of Police and the Ohio Crime Prevention Association present these tips so citizens can help to make our community safer.