In the last few weeks in the City of Cleveland we have experienced some car hijackings in some of our neighborhoods. The following are a few tips to keep you safe form this sort of serious crime.
Getting in your vehicle:
1) Always walk with a purpose and stay alert.
2) Always have your key ready when approaching your vehicle.
3) Be wary of people asking for directions or handing out flyers.
4) Always trust your instincts.
On the road:
1) Keep doors locked and windows rolled up.
2) When coming to a stop leave room to maneuver around vehicle in front of you.
3) Drive in center lane when able.
4) Try to avoid driving alone.
5) Don’t stop to assist a stranded motorist. Call the police for them.
1) Park in well lighted area.
2) Never leave valuables in plain view.
3) Try to park in a garage that has an attendant.
4) Check the surroundings before exiting your vehicle.
If it happens to you:
1) If the suspect threatens you with a weapon, give up the vehicle.
2) Get away from the area as quick as possible.
3) Try to obtain an accurate description of the suspect.
4) Call the police immediately.